< Back to Noblesville, IN Personal Injury Attorneys page

Noblesville Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

A workplace injury can leave you unable to work and wondering how you’re going to pay your bills. Thankfully, you may be able to seek compensation, but you need to understand your options and which ones make the most sense in your situation. If you’ve suffered a workplace injury, reach out to the workers’ compensation lawyers at GDS Law Group for help.

We understand the challenges our clients face after getting injured on the job. We’ve helped injured victims get the compensation they need to get back on their feet. If you’re suffering and unable to work, call us at (317) 550-5339, or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with a Noblesville personal injury lawyer.

Workers’ Compensation vs. Personal Injury Claims

If you’ve been injured on the job, the first step is to understand your options. Most people have heard about workers’ compensation, but don’t understand what it is or what it does.

In Indiana, most employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. This insurance provides coverage to employees who are injured while on the job. The principal benefit of workers’ compensation insurance is that it pays benefits to employees – regardless of who was responsible for a workplace accident. All you will need to prove is that you were injured through the course of your employment. Once you file your application and your claim gets approved, you can start receiving benefits.

In a personal injury claim, on the other hand, you will have to prove that the other party was negligent. This can be difficult to do, especially if the other party disputes your claim. In addition, you might have to file a lawsuit. It could take months or even years before you receive compensation for your injuries.

You should also understand that you can’t sue your employer and file a claim for workers’ compensation claim. However, an experienced workers’ comp attorney can help you understand your options and develop the best possible strategy for you.

The Workers’ Compensation Process

If you’ve been injured at work, the process for making a workers’ compensation claim can seem intimidating. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can help you navigate the process and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve following an injury at work. Suggestions to help you successfully manage the process include:

  • Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible. The sooner you report the injury, the sooner you can start receiving benefits. Also, delays in reporting your injury may make it difficult to prove that you were injured on the job, thus disqualifying you from benefits.
  • Consult with our Noblesville workers’ compensation lawyers. An attorney can help you understand what you will need to prove your claim and ensure that you are fairly compensated for your injury.
  • Go see your doctor. A physician can help document your injury, and more importantly, explain your limitations and why you shouldn’t return to work. You will need this information to prove your claim.
  • Follow your doctor’s orders. Not only will this help you make a full recovery, but ignoring your doctor’s orders could compromise your workers’ comp claim.

A knowledgeable work injury lawyer can not only help you get through the claim process, but also help you avoid the potential pitfalls that could jeopardize your case. Contact GDS Law Group today to learn more about the workers’ comp process in Indiana.

Workers’ Compensation Benefits

If you’ve been injured at work, it’s important to understand what benefits workers’ compensation will provide. Once your claim has been approved, you are eligible to receive the following benefits:

  • Lost wages
  • Medical bills
  • Prescription medications
  • Medical equipment such as crutches, walkers, and prosthetics
  • Mileage and other transportation costs incurred to get to medical appointments
  • Temporary and permanent disability benefits

While workers’ compensation can help you pay your bills and your medical expenses, it’s important to understand that it won’t cover harm such as pain and suffering.

Potential Third-Party Claims

Even though you can’t sue your employer if you file a claim for worker’s compensation, you may be able to pursue a separate personal injury claim if a third party caused your injury. Again, you will have to establish that the other party’s negligence caused the accident and your injury. Common scenarios where you may have a third-party personal injury claim include:

You were injured by a non-employee while on the job.

You might have been injured in a car accident while at work. In this scenario, you may be able to sue the driver of the other vehicle for any losses that are not covered by your workers’ compensation benefits.

Defective equipment or other products injured you.

You will need to prove that the manufacturer knew or should have known that their product or equipment was defective and would lead to injury.

Your injury was the result of working with a toxic substance or chemical.

Similar to being injured by defective equipment, many workers are injured due to handling toxic substances. In this case, you will have to prove that the manufacturer knew that the substance was toxic, or that they failed to provide adequate warnings so that the material could be handled safely.

The benefit of pursuing a third-party claim is that you may be able to recover those losses that aren’t covered by workers’ compensation benefits. For example, you can seek compensation for the pain and suffering caused by your injury.

Contact Our Workers’ Compensation Lawyers for Help Today

Pursuing a claim for an injury you suffered at work isn’t as easy as it appears, and a simple mistake can cost you hundreds and even thousands of dollars in compensation. An experienced and knowledgeable work injury attorney can help guide you through the process. If you’ve been injured, the best thing you can do is contact the workers’ compensation attorneys at GDS Law Group. Call us today at (317) 550-5339, or use the contact form to schedule a free consultation of your case.