At GDS Law Group, LLP, We fight for your rights. Give us a call today – 765-313-7092

May 22, 2019

Ending Child Support at Age 19: House Enrolled Act 1520

Child support agreement paperwork regarding House Enrolled Act 1520
Tagged in:
Posted by: GDS Law Group, LLP

If your monthly child support payments are taking a toll on your finances, relief may be in sight. House Enrolled Act 1520 automatically stops child support when your child turns 19 and has not yet graduated from high school – unless the parent receiving the child support files a special notice in court. Your child support is an important contribution to your child’s well-being and development. When your child reaches adulthood, you should have the opportunity to stop payments.

Emancipation can be a hotly contested issue if the other parent is relying on your child support payments. In such cases, you may find that you need the assistance of an experienced Anderson, Indiana child support lawyer. At GDS Law Group, LLP, we have a proven track record of helping families resolve their custody and child support issues. You owe it to yourself and to your family to resolve these problems as quickly and as fairly as possible.

Call us today at (765) 313-7092, or reach out through the online form to schedule a free consultation of your case.

How Does House Enrolled Act 1520 Affect the Emancipation Process?

Indiana’s Governor Holcomb signed House Enrolled Act 1520 into law on May 5, 2019. The reforms it puts in place, however, do not go into effect until July 1, 2019. That being said, you should begin talking with a lawyer about your case now, even though you may not be able to take action. By doing so, you will give you and your legal team adequate time to prepare, which will give your case the best chances of an optimal resolution.

If you have a child who will turn 19 before they graduate from high school or a vocational equivalent, House Enrolled Act 1520 applies to you. This law will automatically release parents from having to pay child support once their child reaches the age of 19. The only way for support to continue is if the parent who receives the support files a notice with the court before their child reaches 19 years of age. They also must wait until the child is at least 17-years-old before filing this notice.

To be effective, the notice to request the continuance of child support must not only be filed on time, but it must also be filed with the correct court and sent to the other parent. The parent seeking continued child support must also provide proof of the child’s enrollment in secondary school, and the expected graduation date. The parent who is paying support has the option of contesting, but only has 30 days to do so after receiving the notice.

How an Indiana Family Lawyer Can Help

If you have received a notice from the other parent of your child requesting that you should continue to pay child support until graduation, you should speak with an attorney as soon as possible. You only have 30 days to contest. If you don’t, you will have no choice but to continue paying thousands of dollars for the support of your adult child. These payments can put a serious strain on your finances, especially if you have several children. Furthermore, your failure to make payments can result in criminal charges and administrative penalties such as restrictions on your ability to travel abroad.

For these reasons, you should speak with a child support lawyer now if your child will reach the age of 19 while still enrolled in high school or another vocational program. Don’t expect emancipation to happen on its own, because in your case, it may require the intervention of a skilled legal professional. At GDS Law Group, LLP, we stand ready to help you with your child support and family law issues. Contact us today at (765) 313-7092 for your free case consultation.

Get Your Free Consultation

To learn how GDS Law Group, LLP can help, contact us today for a free and confidential consultation

Contact Us Today