Types of Criminal Defense Cases We Handle
If you or a loved one find yourself facing any of the following criminal charges in Central Indiana, the Anderson criminal defense lawyers with GDS Law Group are prepared to defend your rights and protect your future:
Our attorneys believe that your life should not be forever defined by a single mistake, a misunderstanding, or false allegations. We take a lot of pride in working one-on-one with our clients to understand what led to your situation and finding an outcome that gives you the best chance of moving past it.
Starting with a free and confidential case evaluation, we will meet with you personally, discuss what led to your charges, and offer realistic solutions. From there, we will aggressively negotiate for a dismissal if it’s justified, work to lessen the charges if the facts support it, or obtain a reasonable penalty that accurately reflects your circumstances. If keeping your license after an OWI is essential, that will be our goal. If a theft conviction will prohibit you from the career that you want, we will work to keep it off your record. Additionally, if you are charged with a violent crime or a serious felony, our Anderson, IN criminal defense lawyers will fight to protect your freedom and clear your name.
Criminal Penalties in Indiana
According to Indiana Law, criminal charges are divided by their severity as either a misdemeanor (lower-level) and felonies (higher-level offenses).
Misdemeanors in Indiana are crimes punishable by up to a year in jail. These are the most common criminal charges and although they are typically considered less serious, when compared to felonies, the possible penalties are anything but minor. Some examples of Indiana misdemeanors include possession of marijuana, petty theft, public intoxication, OWI, and are classified as:
- Class A (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-3-2)- Punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000.
- Class B (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-3-3) – Punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
- Class C – (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-3-4) – Punishable by up to 60 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.
More serious offenses that a carry a penalty of more than one year in state prison are designated as felonies. Some examples of felonies in Indiana include aggravated battery, grand larceny, vehicle theft, certain firearm offenses, rape, manslaughter, and murder. Depending on the specific incident and factors involved, a felony and its penalties will be classified as:
- Level 1 (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-4.5.) – Punishable by 20 to 40 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 2 (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-5.) – Punishable by ten to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 3 (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-5.) – Punishable by three to 16 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 4 (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-5.5.) – Punishable by between two to 12 years iin prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 5 (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-6.) – Punishable by one to six years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Level 6 (Ind. Code Ann. § 35-50-2-7.)- Also referred to as ‘wobblers’ which can be either a felony or misdemeanor based on the situation, these are punishable by at least six months in jail as misdemeanor or between two and a half years in prison as a felony, and a fine of up to $10,000.
Aside from possible time in custody and costly fines, a criminal conviction in Indiana can also impact your current and future employment prospects, your eligibility for certain loans, and numerous other collateral consequences, including:
- Losing our right to own a firearm
- A negative impact to your immigration/citizenship status
- Losing professional credentials like a medical license or CDL
- Difficulty securing affordable or decent housing
- Negative effects to child custody agreements
Why You Need a Skilled Indiana Criminal Defense Lawyer
When people are arrested, or charged with crimes in Indiana, they will suddenly be thrust into a criminal justice system that few are equipped to handle. There will be intense interrogations with well-trained members of law enforcement and a constant barrage of accusations and questions, specifically designed to trip you up and make the officers’ job easier. When the stakes are this high, it’s important to keep in mind that members of law enforcement are primarily interested in obtaining convictions and not necessarily protecting your rights or best interests.
As former Indiana prosecutors, the Anderson, IN criminal defense lawyers with GDS Law Group know the tactics that may be used against you and thrive in a courtroom, successfully handling hundreds of jury trials. We use this insight and our extensive courtroom skill to gain every possible advantage in your case. With our guidance and aggressive representation, you can rest assured that everything is being done to secure your desired result.
What You Can Expect from GDS Law Group
Former Prosecutors & Veteran Trial Attorneys
Between our time as Indiana prosecutors and now as defense attorneys, we have honed our skills and handled countless criminal cases, including hundreds of successful jury trials. This makes us formidable adversaries and fierce advocates for every client in our care.
A Commitment to You & Your Needs
We believe that you deserve the strongest possible defense and offer every client the highest level of care and attention. Additionally, we are committed to remaining responsive and keeping you informed from start to finish. If you have questions, we will provide answers promptly and clearly.
Two Decades of Legal Experience & Personalized Service
Our Anderson criminal defense lawyers bring a wide-ranging level of legal experience to bear in every case. We will work with you to develop a tailor-made approach that puts you in the optimum position to defend your rights and secure a favorable outcome.
A Track Record of Favorable Results
Criminal allegations and charges don’t have to ruin your life. You have options to consider and rights to protect. We are seasoned trial lawyers with a deep commitment to providing exceptional legal services and a history of fighting for positive outcomes when criminal charges threaten your future.
At GDS Law Group, our Anderson, IN criminal defense attorneys are focused on helping individuals and their families effectively address criminal charges and move on with their lives. With over 20 years of legal experience, combined with the compassion and sensitivity that only a smaller firm can provide, we deliver the elite level of service and protection that you deserve. Call us today at 765-313-7092 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.